Appendix A for Part One
A Working List of Skills and Knowledge Covered in Sophomore Life Prep Courses
- The ability to use a personal computer for basic tasks.
- The ability to fill out a job application – both online and on paper.
- The ability to create and balance a household budget.
- The ability to balance a checkbook – both online and on paper.
- The ability navigate one’s city, either by driving a car or mastering public transportation.
- The ability to cook basic meals.
- An understanding of how pregnancy occurs, STDs are spread, and optional methods to prevent both.
- The ability to explain how interest ($) works, and how credit cards are different and dangerous.
- The ability to do laundry & clean the house.
- Basic communication and relationship skills.
- An understanding of the two-party political system, and some of the basic differences between the parties.
- The ability to recount a general timeline of American history, at least including and in order, the American Revolution, the War of 1812, the Civil War, the Industrial Revolution, the world wars, the Technological Revolution
- A knowledge of alcoholism and other addictions and how they work.
- A working knowledge of First Aid